Featured Post

AC/DC- On the set of 'Private Parts'- Bryant Park

Monday, November 22, 2010

The ALLMAN BROTHERS- Roseland Ballroom

Written by Backstage Bruce

From the first 'One For Woody' show. 
     Finally, after all these years, I was going to see The Allman Brothers Band live. I did try to buy tickets. The band's website, which had a huge psychedelic mushroom on its homepage, stated that this show, at the Roseland Ballroom, was going to be the last one of the tour. I had to get inside. The show was completely sold-out, a mere technicality. 

     The marquee that night read 'Another One For Woody'. "Woody" was their long-time bass player, Allen Woody and this was the tenth anniversary of his passing. The line was so long that it wrapped around the block, onto Broadway, up towards 53rd street. There were a lot of people milling about trying to get tickets.
     And it was a sellers market with the prices at a premium. Northwest Mississippi Allstars were the opening act. They took the stage and the scalper's prices started to drop but were still outrageous. 

     My plan was to wait it out a bit, go over to the deli, grab a few beers and try to get in after the first band. On my walk over to the deli, I pass a door in the back of Roseland. I see a bunch of people with VIP passes all standing around having cigarettes. The new "No Smoking" law had just gone into effect. This area was a new impromptu designated smoking area.

     This door, that the people were using, to get outside and back inside had a security guard assigned to it. As I walked by a few people were stepping outside, the door opened and I could hear the band clearly. The Northwest Mississippi Allstars sounded really good with a classic southern-rock/ blues sound, at least from what I could hear outside.

     I wound up drinking a few more beers than I planned. The first 6 pack went right down, back to the deli for a few more. The new plan, now that I am good and buzzed, was to return to the back of the place and try to merge into the smoking area, then walk in that way, pretend like I was already in and I just stepped out for a quick cig.
 
    I get there, crack open beer number seven and put another one in my sock for when I am inside. I'm observing the going-ons in the smoking area when all of a sudden a different door, one that I had never even noticed before, opened up.

     A barback comes out with a huge trash bag full of bottles and cans, he dropped it near the garbage bin. A can collector immediately snatched it up and started sorting the cans and bottles. The barback retreats inside, and within seconds he's back with another bag of bottles and cans. 

    He dropped them off again, but this time he didn't go back inside, instead he jammed a piece of wood in the doorway to keep it from closing all the way. Next thing he walked away and pulled out a cell phone. He was going to take a little break and make a phone call. Hallelujah! This was the miracle I needed, his attention was going to be diverted. This was it, no time to waste.

     I took the last sip of beer and casually made my way over to the door, which the barback had just propped open, handed my empty can to the can collector and nonchalantly walked in. It took me a grand total of six seconds from the moment I decided it was time until the moment entry was made. I'm in and it was intermission, just like I planned, to get in after the first band. The place was actually cloudy! Smoke permeated throughout the legendary dance hall. You would get a contact buzz just by being there.

     Gov't Mule took the stage next, turns out it was a three-bill night! Yay! Surprise! They were great, they jammed for two-solid hours. Everyone there was soooooooooo friendly, everybody talking to each other. This crowd danced, which is always a good thing to see. 
Gov't Mule was fantastic. 

    Next, the headliners, The Allman Brothers, took the stage around 11:00 p.m. The guitarist of Gov't Mule, Warren Haynes, was playing guitar with them!. Here, he just jammed with his own band for two hours now he is going to go for round two. Warren has been playing with The Allman Brothers Band- off and on- since 1989.
Warren Haynes giving the peace sign in NYC.
     It was one of the most incredible jam sessions I have ever witnessed. They utilized almost every instrument possible: guitars, multiple basses, 3-drum sets, cowbells, harmonica, tambourine, trombone, a slide-guitar, a xylophone, plus a few other instruments and of course, Greg Allman on piano.
Gregg Allman, left and his brother, Duane, in 1971
      The backdrop had real trippy, kaleidoscope images projected onto it. The same psychedelic mushroom that appeared on their website was displayed on the screen. They performed for over two hours including a cover of both The Beatles' 'Dear Prudence' and The Bands' 'The Weight', great Youtube video from that night:
       The audience danced the whole night. The entire experience was truly unbelievable, by the time it all ended and I actually exited the place, through the front door this time, it was 1:48 a.m. That is the latest I have ever left any concert. The Allman Brothers came to town and showed New York how it is done! Woody would have been so proud.      

No comments:

Post a Comment