Featured Post

AC/DC- On the set of 'Private Parts'- Bryant Park

Saturday, June 10, 2017

THE BUZZCOCKS- Webster Hall

-Contributing writer and photographer: Rich Rickaby

The Buzzcocks, openers- So So Glo, Doors at 7

If you know the Buzzcocks then you love the Buzzcocks and the Buzzcocks love the Buzzcocks too. Full punk fun was on display on stage and in the pit, energized with youth and age.

Yes, they've been around since '76 and so has a good chunck of the audience, but there was a good younger chunk as well. When, where and how did they take to the 'cocks? And they knew the words and loved the music and I know because I fended off their trample for a good portion of the night.

Opening acts... (both good)... stand, wait, stand, 3 deep at a general admission show, securing turf... and here they are.

And they did songs I didn't know. Songs I should know. How did these obvious faves elude me? So I'm discovering new stuff in the wake of a noise-fueled fun fest. I don't know what song they opened with, I know they closed with, or before the encore, 'Ever Fallen In Love?'

But they did play 'What Do I Get?', 'Harmony In My Head', 'Fast Cars', (aha, that's what they opened with) 'Paradise', 'Orgasm Addict' and more obviously.

Complete set list here, thanks again, setlist.fm:
The Buzzcocks, Webster Hall, 2017


Pete Shelley and Danny Farreant.
Pete Shelley did most of the singing, while rocking the riffs we know the BCs for, with Steve Diggle dropping in for vocals now and then but always playing and displaying his appreciation for his guitar by holding it high, by the neck, and strumming it wide. The excited nature of the crowd and the band had Pete saying, "Let's look at this set list..." before someone went off on the song next traveled.

And still I'm fending off slammers, and rightfully so, but I'm holding the perimeter (silly as that sounds in a mosh pit) by the stage. It's me, Susan (my concert buddy) a stranger and that's it. We're pressed against the front. Mosh along but do you have to mosh at me? Bounce at me, fine, nature of the beast, but at me? Because I'm going to hold my ground when I'm up against the wall! And so you push back.

Then the Buzzcocks end the song and come back with a less gnashing one and everyone gets their cool back. Except for Chris Remmington, bass player. He was cool the whole night! Even taking some time to smile at the end. Drummer Danny Farreant beat the skins appropriately but I couldn't see him clear enough to comment on his expression.

Basically, they started off and everyone's excited and then it seems like the vocals should be louder, clearer. I've watched some back-vids of them and accents may be involved as well. But you rock on and realize it's better. Then, when you're done with the defending turf and get a beer at the bar and return to the perimeter, it's all great. It rocks, it's clever punk and they're having a fun time on stage too, sharing it. The moshing continues its war dance in the crowd and though not exactlty appreciated at first, it's great to have been a part of it, like the music, it got better and continues in reflections, like many moments in my life that have been soundtracked by the Buzzcocks.

The show was sold out.
And so was the T-shirt I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment