Featured Post

AC/DC- On the set of 'Private Parts'- Bryant Park

Thursday, July 13, 2017

POORCOLIN- Lovecraft

By Rich Rickaby- Contributing Writer, NYC Music Scene
PoorColin
LOVECRAFT
7/13/17
50 Ave. B

*Quick editor note, the name of the venue is LOVECRAFT, as in, you will love the crafts that they offer, total steampunk! You will dig it, thumbs up!
The name of the band is...PoorColinand just like the crafts, you will love them too!


PoorColin wows the crowd at Lovecraft!

How Rock and Roll New York Music Scene is this?
You have friends at work and Jodi's one of them and her boyfriend Liam's band is playing this Thursday soooooo.....

I mean, that's it, pure and simple people. Of course we love the tales of Bob Dylan, Lou Reed, Ramones, Patti Smith, Living Colour, Beastie Boys, Murphy's Law, Sonic Youth, Spin Doctors, Helmet, TV On The Radio and more but here's a band playing it out for the fun of the rock.

Will Poorcolin become one of these NYC bands of note in the  future? and everyone will be jealous when I tell them how I saw them back in the day? I don't know, they did cover songs, mostly from the '80's and they played to their audience, friends and friends of the band coming up next. Maybe they have originals waiting to bust out, we'll see. But for now...

The cover's $10, tell them which band you are there to see*, pay another $10 for a ticket to prove your 1 Drink Minimum (Hey, fair enough people, you try running the show, let alone performing and also, so you know) and take a seat at the side bench or tables or bar because this is NYC and nobody dances unless they don't live in Manhattan. But some did dance and we all had fun and that's what Rock and Roll is for.

As it goes, (Thanks Kurt) I don't see that they have a web site, I don't think they've played out in over a year>Rockers in the hole>but hopefully, they'll play out sooner than later, if not just to bring friends together. So, with no reference for names until I see Jodi, the line up:

Guy on Bassie was in corner so I couldn't see him but he had some moments of accents, nice.

Drummer Guy was drummer guy but there were moments when you could tell he was in it hard, living it.

Same thing with Singer Vocaletta (I mean no offense if I'm using some language the wrong way here) who was at ease singing and cajolling the rest of us.

To make it theirs, ours, yessss, New York still has some quirk to it, I sh*t you not, they had Blue Shirted Strapped Knuckles Cordie on the Accordion. When's the last time you heard a lead accordion in a basement bar?

Lead accordion in a basement bar. 

On Guy-tar was Liam. I know him through direct association with Jodi, and he shined in some solos when he was living it and cursed himself for some flubs earlier. I know because we spoke and I know because I've been there, we've all been there; everything was perfect but this one thing, and that nags you everafter. I played it perfect a thousand times in my room.... Hey if you're gonna Rock and Roll, you're gonna get hurt but it's on your terms because you entered the ring.

So shout out to Porcolin. Let us know your next date and website address and rock on.

Songs I remember:

Because the Night
Heard this while entering with Rock and Roll Buddy Susan. We love Patti/ Patti's version.

99 Red/Luft Balloons
They joked about not playing this song ever when chided by an audience member but lo and behold, it showed up.

Men At Work song...I can't get to sleep...(ashamed I can't title it now, below is my awareness of the lyrics but I'm not looking it up).

I can't get to sleep
I think of the humiliation
Of diving in too deep
And bllllllimagination

Day after day, we are realllllll
Night after night we are soooooo bvfrstlllll
Overkill and fade away

I'm walking in my sleep...

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
A great rocking selection, Rock and Roll Tiph asked me Who's This? I told her but if you don't know, though she knew them, just not this song, look it up because they're the band that just keeps giving.

I Think We're Alone Now
Yes, they played that and it's so funny to see who was singing along regardless of loving or hating it back then.

Godzilla
Yes! Bonus points, they closed with Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult. I mean, come on...

The whole gang's there. 
Shout out to The Earthlings! the band after, with a similar bent but with an eye on the 60/70s.
Look at all the crafts offered at LOVECRAFT, very inviting...
*If you're just dropping into a band bar for the music, ask the gate which band has the least support and tell them your gate is for them. Lugging instruments and more to a gig deserves a cab home in and of itself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rich! Thank you for the KICKIN blogpost. So glad that you had a great time. We did too (and hopefully that was obvious). To fill in some blanks:

    We use our Facebook page as our website for the moment: https://www.facebook.com/poorcolin/

    The band is:
    Colin Poellot on accordion and vocals
    Daniel Geohegan on drums and vocals
    Jon Pope on bass
    Liam Webster (you know him) on guitar and vocals
    And little ol me: BarbaraLynn Cantone (AKA Ann T. Maim)

    Next gig is August 3 at 9pm at RaR Bar in Astoria. We're planning a couple more in September and October - TBA.

    Thank you for being part of an exceptional NYC audience. xx

    ReplyDelete